Sunday, February 22, 2009

Unit 4 Part 2

1.What is the main subject of your question?
How do people know when a Tornado is coming?

2.What subject guide or guides did you use to identify the relevant databases for your question?
I used Geography & Environmental Studies to do my search.

For each database you chose:

1.Which database did you choose for your search?
The database I chose for my search is JSTOR and Web of Science

2.What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
I entered in the term "Tornadoes" to conduct my search.

3.How many results did you retrieve?
I first Retrieved over 2,000 results on JSTOR and 9 results on web of science


4.If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
In order to narrow my search I refined my search by saying "Tornadoes in the MidWest."

5.Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
I determined if they were meaningful by how much the topic related to my search.

6.Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
Using the JSTOR Search I chose an article titled
"Terror of the MidWest"
Author(s):Ann Ewing
Science News Vol. 94, No. 16 (Oct. 19, 1968), p. 396
Published by: Society for Science & the Public
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3953622

Using the Web of Science search I chose an article titled
The tornado hazard in southern New England: History, characteristics, student and teacher perceptions
Author: Lewis TR
Source: JOURNAL OF GEOGRAPHY Volume: 105 Issue: 6 Pages: 258-266 Published: NOV-DEC 2006
IDS Number: 176ML
ISSN: 0022-1341

7.How did you determine these articles were meaningful?
I determined the articles were meaningful based on how well they fit my search.

No comments:

Post a Comment