Friday, February 13, 2009

Unit 4, Part 1 Assignment

Research Log Entry 1

1.What three periodicals did you choose?
The three periodicals I chose were Time, American Bar Association Journal, and Journal of Comparative Psychology

2.Name three articles, one from each of the three journals you chose.
From the Time magazine I chose an article called "Wasting our Watts", By Michael Grunwald. From the American Bar Association Journal I chose an article called, "President By Chance, Chief Justice By Choice By Alpheus Thomas Mason". For the the last article from the Journal of Comparative Psychology I chose, "Impression Management Ability in Psychiatric Hospital Examples and Normals" By Charles G. Watson.

3.What are the major differences among these articles?
The major differences among each articles is their topics. For example, in the Time journal the article I chose was about energy and how there are many ways people can conserve in our day to day lives. In the American Bar Association Journal the article was about how President William Howard was the only man in American history to become both president and chief justice. In the journal of Comparative Psychology the article gives background in formation on Schizophrenia.

4.What are the major differences among these periodicals?
The major difference among each periodicals is of course the physical appearance.
The Time journal is a thin magazine with a lot of up to date information on what is going on in the world. American Bar Association Journal is a hard cover book like the Journal of Comparative Psychology but is a lot bigger with more pages.

1 comment:

  1. While the periodicals cover different topics, the key difference is the nature of the publication and the different types of periodicals represented. The only reason some of these are bound in hardcover is because the library chose to do that. They all come in softcover to start. As for currency, they all still publish currently; it's just that we may not carry the print version.

    I wanted you to look at them to see the differences among popular, trade/professional, and research journals, which is also why I asked you to view the wiki page on this topic.

    ReplyDelete