Friday, February 6, 2009

Unit 3, Part 2 Assignment

1.Which of your questions did you try to answer?
How does a Tornado form?

2.What EXACT terms did you enter into the keyword search screen?
The term I entered first was tornadoes however I did not get what I was looking for. Therefore I narrowed my search down to "Tornado" and found the right information.

3.What subject heading did you choose to be sure your item was on target and the best
option for your search?
I chose the heading Tornadoes United States

4.What item did you eventually choose? Why?
I chose an Idem titled, "Tornado climatology of the contiguous United States". I chose this Item because I believed it would give me all the information I need about a tornado and how they not only form but effect the United States.

5.Give the bibliographic information for the item you chose.
Author-Ramsdell, J.V.
Title-Tornado climatology of the contiguous United States
Edition-2
Publish Info.-Washington, D.C. : Division of Risk Assessment and Special Projects, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, [2007]

6.When you looked at the reference work, what quote did you choose? Why?
I chose the quote "Tornadoes" because I believed that this would not only give me the basic background of a tornado but also other useful information as well.

7.What makes this a reference book as opposed to a regular book you might find in the
book stacks?
I think a reference book makes it much more easier to find the information a person is looking for. A regular book tends to have much more information which will take longer to find exactly what a person is looking for.

8.In looking at the material in the book and the publication date in the bibliographic information, what year do you think the information really comes from?
I think The information really comes from the early 90's considering the fact thats when a lot of tornadoes were taking place.

1 comment:

  1. I was glad to see you refining your search terms. That's exactly what you should do. As we move into databases and finding articles, you'll find that greater specificity will be needed. With reference tools, you usually need to be broader. It's all about language manipulation.

    I was also glad to see you able to find a subject heading and make use of it--great!

    Your book choice is fine in terms of subject matter, but it's not actually a reference title. To find a reference book, you'd need to combine your keyword search and "reference collection" which you choose from the "location" drop down menu on the advanced keyword search screen.

    I tried "tornado*" and "reference collection" and I got 0 results. I then broadened my search to "climate" and "reference collection." While I retrieved 40 results, I wasn't entirely comfortable that they were quite what I was seeking, so I tried a third search:

    weather
    AND
    "reference collection"

    I got 12 results, all in "reference stacks." A couple of titles looked particularly relevant:

    Encyclopedia of weather and climate (which had shown up in both my searches), published in 2002.

    The Weather almanac, published in 1999.

    The first one is more current, so that's the one I'd look at first.

    In terms of the quote I requested, I wanted you to go to the book and look at it and pick a quotation from that book to cite in your research entry log. I think you misinterpreted the question.

    I did look at your e-book and it is certainly very much on your topic. It is also possible that in certain libraries, it might be considered a reference type of title. The key to a reference title is not the ease with which you find information, but the way it is organized and the breadth of the coverage.

    As for the age of the material, the abstract at the beginning of the e-book says that the material in the book includes data from 1950 through 2003. This isn't about when the most tornados were occurring, but the dates that the book tells you are included.

    ReplyDelete