Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Research Log Entry 2

first database:
1.Which database did you choose for your first search?
The database I chose for my first search was Britannica Online (subscription database)

2.What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
The search term that I entered was violent Tornadoes.

3.How many results did you retrieve?
I retrieved 27 results.

4.If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
There was not more than 100 results.

5.Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
To determine they were meaning I looked for keywords that were relevant to what I was searching for.

6.Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
I chose Violent Tornado
tornado." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2009. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 17 Feb. 2009 .

7.How did you determine this article was meaningful?
I determined that this article was meaningful because It fit my search for what I was looking for.

Academic Search Premier

1.What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
The term I entered was violent and tornadoes

2.How many results did you retrieve?
I retrieved 67 results

3.If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
There was not more than 100 results

4.What differences did you note in how you needed to manipulate your search terms in this different database?
I noted that I needed to be very specific in my search terms.

5.Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
To determine they were meaning I looked for keywords that were relevant to what I was searching for.

6.Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
I chose the article Oklahoma tornado leaves 4 dead.
Author:THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Source:New York Times;2/11/2009, pg.17,

7.How did you determine this article was meaningful?
I determined this article was meaning full based on how recent of an event it was and how the keywords fit with what I was looking for.

1 comment:

  1. You did a good job with your search, although you still have to keep in mind the differences in the way tornadoes/tornados are spelled. This is a case where tornado* might be your best option.

    The area that needs more consideration is evaluation. Remember C.A.R.D.I.O. from earlier this quarter? This is the set of evaluation criteria I wanted you to use.

    ReplyDelete